It's that time of the month... Episode 6 of Chord of the Month!
In this episode of, we look at another one of my favourites - a voicing for a major 9 chord.
This can be used to replace any major 7 chord and even most major triads. It is a 2 handed voicing and has quite a few notes.
In the left-hand, you are playing the root, 5th and 7th. In the right-hand, you are playing the 9th, 3rd, 5th & 7th. A trick to remember this in all keys is to follow these 3 steps:
1. Play root position major 7 chord in both hands
2. Remove the 3rd from the left-hand
3. In the right-hand, move the root notes up a tone (to the 9th)
Enjoy playing around with this awesome chord! If you have any questions, just leave a comment below.
- Intro & demonstration of the chord
- Step-by-step breakdown of the voicing
- Learn a little trick to help remember the chord
- See the chord being used in context